Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What really is important?

It happened. Antonio Puerta died in the hospital today. I haven't even been able to read the story. The headline alone is all I really need to see right now. Not trying to be overly dramatic but, dammit, the man was only 22 years old.

I loved the city of Sevilla, which I visited a few years ago, this is how I became a huge fan of their soccer team. Over the few years that I've kept track of them, a handful of players really stood out as either strong and skillful or as personable and/or interesting. Puerta seemed to be both. He was passionate about the game, seemed to really love his team and was very important in Sevilla's strong season last year.

I could go on and on about how this whole thing makes me feel and how it puts life in perspective, but I think right now I just want to say I wish his family, his friends and his teammates well, and my condolences go out to all of them. He will be missed, even by a fan as far away as Tallahassee, Florida.


Here's a little YouTube tribute video someone put together.

No comments: